Saturday, July 20, 2013

We did not post last Sunday because Terry was so sick with runny tummy, but he was better on Tuesday. The week before we had our first transfer day, we got 10 new missionaries. They arrived from the Ghana MTC at 7:00 A.M. This time we had 10 new missionaries, which was good to have a smaller group for the first time our Mission had a transfer.They spent the morning interviewing with and getting  to know the Mission President, talking to Sister Hill about health, taking their malaria medication etc. Terry gave them their bike helmet and light and phone, talked about their phone minutes etc and told them about their monthly budget and card. My part was to take some paper work from them and give or explain other paperwork. Then the President talked to all of them about the Ghana Accra West Mission, introduced them all to their new companions, fed them lunch and then by 2:00 they were off. Eight of our missionaries were from other parts of Africa and 2 were from the U.S. They of course have have different areas where there is a big learning curve, or cultural shock. Their new companions or trainers will be one of the keys to teaching them to be effective missionaries and also of course helping them with getting used to a new country and culture.

This week we welcomed 2 missionary couples back to Africa, one that had been home on sick leave for 3 months and are now back ready to complete their last 8 months, you have to admire them for coming back. They are about 2 hours outside of Accra, while they were gone their house had been burglarized and many of the things including their generator had been taken. They spent over a week here at the Temple housing, going back and forth to look for another house or apartment to live in and finally decided that they would go back to the house they were in because the others they found in the area and price were no better. They stayed right down the hall from us and we got to know them pretty well, they are great people and they are from Littleton, Colorado so of course that was in their favor too. The problem is they are in the other mission, but when they come to town they will come and visit us. The other couple the Daltons have been in Ghana for 23 months, they went home for 3 months and are right back for another 18 month mission. They are really up in the Bush, about 3-4 hours from us. They are in the furthest reaches of the West Mission - but we have several missionaries and Branches up there. They take care of those missionaries and the branches and the community. He had been a contractor and he is helping the people in the town design and build a school. They are so loved that they have had babies named after them

     This is the Daltons ready to serve their 2nd mission to Ghana.(at the airport)

 These are 4 cute Sister Missionaries from our mission, we only have 12 Sisters , 11 from Africa and 1 from
Fiji. They are great! We went with the Hills to visit them. We checked to see that their Apt. was safe and had everything they needed. They are going to be so excited this week our mission Pres. decided that all the apartments needed to have a Microwave. This will be a step up as right now all the Apartments only have what could be called a 2 or 4 burner camp stove. We hope that this will help all the missionaries especially the Elders to eat a little better.

It is always a joy to be with the missionaries.  I felt the spirit of the Lord brooding over the work and his servants, this week, even though most of them are young.  A spiritual experience I had this week, however unusual this may sound, was on Sunday as I was laying on the tile floor in the bathroom, because it was cool and I was having major runny tummy that caused me to sweat and be in pain.  I audibly ask the Lord to help me as I no longer had strength to be upright.  Within seconds Heidi came into the bedroom and asked why I was laying on the floor, and I said because I can not get up, she suggested that she find the missionaries and ask for a blessing. I asked if she would do that.  Often the missionaries from the Accra Mission stay around the Stake Center on the Temple grounds after meetings and teach.  She went out of the ancillary building and found elders LeauBeaus and Caleb just leaving the grounds and ask them to return and give me a blessing, she also ask Elder Scoville to assist.  The three of them came to the apartment, I tried to sit for the blessing but was too weak and laid on the bed.  The faith of these brethren, Heidi and Sister S. was felt and the blessing and was Father in Heavens answer, as I was able to keep water down in small sips and that evening had some saltine crackers.  By Monday afternoon I was feeling much better.   Earlier in Sacrament meeting Elder Caleb shared his story of conversion.  He was a active member of a Pentecostal faith and his father is the minister.  He and some high school friends decided to go to a party, but after getting there one of the boys said he did not feel comfortable being in the party and waited outside for his friends.  After they came from the party the boys asked the friend why he did not stay in the party and he said he did not think it proper to be in a place where the Spirit could not be.  Elder Caleb (not his real name), respected that and started asking questions.  Read the Book of Mormon and gained a testimony.  He is now serving as a full time missionary and hoping that his family may also gain testimonies of Christ's restored Gospel with its plan of happiness.  The faith and goodness of this generation of missionaries and goodness of God to us is felt and I am so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment